Let us not love with words or speech, but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:18
My husband and I say I love you when he goes to work and when we go to sleep at night. Sometimes, we may text throughout the day something nice about how deep our love is, but that is not everyday. I am sure most of you are the same way. We make sure to verbally let our spouse know we love them, but how do you show your husband love with action?
Let Your Actions Mirror Your Words
We are told in 1 John 3:18, to love with actions and in truth, not with words or speech. We can verbally express love, but if our actions are not mirroring this love then it is probably not ringing as true to your spouse.
When you are mirroring your words and actions then you are genuinely expressing love. You tell your husband that you will do something for him that he hasn’t had time to do, then you don’t do it. This could easily make him feel as if you must’ve not been thinking of him all day.
When you are mirroring your words and actions then you are genuinely expressing love.
Maybe you and your spouse agree on a budget each month for different areas of your lives. You aren’t supposed to go over those budgeted areas without speaking to each other. One day you go over the budget for something and not only didn’t discuss it with him, but you didn’t even bother letting him know. Not only have you betrayed his trust, but he may feel like you think his opinion is invaluable.
Marriage Is Selfless
The easiest way to mirror your words with your actions is to actively place your spouse and his feelings before you and your feelings. Marriage is about putting someone else before yourself in all situations.
Yes, you may be tired at the end of the day or maybe you just have had the worst day. Yet taking five minutes to sit with your spouse and put aside your own feelings to ask about their day is something so powerful. That is you not only expressing your love for your spouse because you have decided to place your exhaustion and frustrations from the day aside. It is also expressing a Godly love.
God is always ready to listen to us, at any hour, on every day of the year. There may be many people crying out to God with problems bigger than you can imagine. He is still right there the minute you need him for anything though. Taking time to listen to your husband, especially on those rough days, is worth so much to them.
My husband, when he is on day shift, comes home so exhausted. He is gone from about 4:45 A.M. until 6:45 P.M. and he has a stressful job. We still sit down to dinner with each other and talk about our days. He focuses on me during that time, not tv, kids or phone calls, just me.
It is something he may not even realize is so special to me, but it touches my heart so much to know that he loves me deeply enough to put his own feelings aside to truly listen to me.
10 Ways To Show Your Husband Love With More Than Words
- Randomly touch him throughout the day. Hold his hand when you can, give him a kiss more often that at comings and goings, or simply touch his back as you pass by him.
- Come up with a date idea that you know he would love, even if it isn’t something you’ll particularly enjoy.
- Do something for him that he hasn’t had time to get around to.
- When you are at the store pick up something simple that you know he likes.
- Write him a love note and stick it somewhere he will find it randomly during the day.
- Watch a movie with him that he wants to watch, not something you would choose.
- If you don’t have very much time together due to work or kids, take a little time one day to sit outside with each other and enjoy the sunset and some wine. Anything you do can do alone, even if it is at home, for a few minutes with no distractions is nice quality time.
- Cook a dinner specifically with him in mind, or if he cooks, then bake his favorite dessert. Men love to eat, and that is such a random and nice gesture.
- Listen to him. It is hard to take time as a mother and wife to focus on only ONE person. Take that time each day to truly focus on him and only him.
- Initiate intimacy. This may be uncomfortable for some of you, it is for me I will admit, but it often is something that men crave. It is something that a lot of women do not freely do, we tend to wait for our spouse to initiate this, but men want to feel wanted just as much as we do. So go out of your way to show him you want him by initiating intimacy one night.
Become A Better Wife Today!
You can take the first steps towards a better marriage right now. Join our 7-day email series to improve your marriage and become a better wife!